Rock Springs Mine No. 1, undated.
Mine No. 1 was the oldest and largest of the Union Pacific Coal Company mines in
Rocks Springs. It opened in 1868 and employed about 500 miners. It was capable of
producing 1,800 tons a day.
Rock Springs Mine No. 2, undated.
Mine No. 2 originally was owned by the
Sweetwater Coal Mining Company which was acquired by the Central Coal & Coke Company
of Kansas City, Mo. The mine employed about 100 men. Central Coal & Coke started as a retail dealer of coal and
rapidly expanded. It had mining interests ranging from Arkansas, Oklahoma, Kansas and
Wyoming. The onset of the Great Depression reduced demand for coal. In January, 1931 the Company was
forced into receivership.
Rock Springs Mine No. 3 opened in 1873 and was abandoned due to a fire in 1895.
Rock Springs Mine No. 2, 1911.
Rock Springs No. 4, 1911.
No. 4 was a coal camp. The area around Rock Springs had numerous coal camps associated with
the various mines. Other camps included No. 6, Interstate Camp, Van Dyke, and Gunn Camp.
For discussion of coal camps see Coal Camps.
Rock Springs Coal Mine, approx. 1907
Mines 7 and 9, Rock Springs, undated
The No. 7 mine opened in 1888. The No. 9 mine opened in 1890.
Rock Springs Mine No. 8, 1905.
Rock Springs Mine No. 9, undated. Postcard published by
Rock Springs Mine No. 10, 1911.
Coal Chutes, Rock Springs, 1908.
Monument to those
who died in the Sweetwater County Mines. Photo courtesy of Anadarko Petroleum Corporation, corporate
successor of the Union Pacific Coal Company.
For discussion of coal mining and the Rock Springs Massacre see
Next Page: The Rock Springs Arch.