South side of Broadway, as viewed from across the Sqaure, Jackson, approx. 1934
The building to the left of the Hardware is the Deloney Block constructed in 1930. To its left is the Jackson State Bank. For better view see
South side of Broadway, Jackson, Wyoming, approx. 1934.
Left to Right:
Jackson Hardware, Lumley's, the Blue Bird Cafe,and the Telephone Company.
The building on the end
advertises guest rooms.
The directional signs on the post point to Yellowstone Park and Moran Junction. The telephone company was established in 1905.
Electric lines were not installed, however, until 1921. Prior to that
time interior lighting was by means of gasoline lamps.
View of south side of Broadway, approx. 1940.
Jackson Hardware allegedly was the first
to install a gasoline pump in town. As late as 1921 gasoline was purchased from gasoline cans sold by
Deloney and Sons or from the Spier-Curtis Garage. In 1919, the Kelly Mercantile Company installed a 550
gallon underground gasoline tank. Additionally gasoline could be purchased to fill one's own
barrels from A. J. Carrter in Driggs who made made twice a week deliveries from tank wagons sent
over the pass. Deloney & Sons in 1920 advertised gasoline for sixty cents a gallon.
First Gas Pump in Jackson.
Later the Jackson Mercantile Co. around the corner on Center Street installed a Conoco pump.
South side of Broadway, 1940. Photo by
Charles Wesley Andrews.
South side of Broadway, Jackson, 1940's. Photo by Wm. P. sanborn.
South side of Broadway, Jackson,
The J R Bar and the Log Cabin Bar depicted in the photo are discussed with regard to illegal gambling on a subseqeunt page.
All of the businesses depicted above are, as shown in the next two photos, gone.
South side of Broadway, 1970
The above scene was utilized as a location for part of a fight scene between Clint Eastwood and
Tank Murdock in the 1978 movie Any Which Way But Loose.
The Ranch Shops, southeast corner of Broadway and Cache, 1970's. Photo by
William P. Sanborn.
The Ranch Shops were owned by Abi Garamen who also owned the Roundup west of the Wort Hotel. Garamen after graduation from the
University of California, Berkeley and Davis, moved to Jackson in 1954. He twice served as mayor. When the town
redid the boardwalk on the west side of Broadway and old leather repair shop was found beneath.
South side of Broadway, August, 2013. Photo by Geoff Dobson
Next Page: Jackson continued, the "Crabtree Corner.