Jackson Photos

Continued from previous page

From Wyoming Tales and Trails

This Page: The Clubhouse, the Jackson Mercantile, Early Schools.

Big Horn Basin Black Hills Bone Wars Buffalo Cambria Casper Cattle Drives Centennial Cheyenne Chugwater Cody Custer Deadwood Stage Douglas Dubois Encampment Evanston Ft. Bridger Ft. Fetterman Ft. Laramie Ft. Russell Frontier Days Ghost Towns Gillette G. River F. V. Hayden Tom Horn Jackson Johnson County War Kemmerer Lander Laramie Lincoln Highway Lusk Meeteetse Medicine Bow N. Platte Valley Oil Camps Overland Stage Photos V Rawlins Rock Springs Rudefeha Mine Sheepherding Sheridan Sherman Shoshoni Superior Thermopolis USS Wyoming Wheatland Wild Bunch Yellowstone

Table of Contents
About This Site

Jackson, the Clubhouse, looking east, 1907.

One of the oldest buildings in Jackson is the clubhouse constructed aoout 1897. When it was constructed, the upper story was used as the school replacing a three-room log school house about two miles north of town. The square on which the Clubhouse fronts is bounded on the east by Center Street, on the south by Broadway, on the West by Cache and on the north by Deloney. The sign over the front porch is for the Jackson Mercantile Co. founded by Frank and Clarence Roy van Vleck. The building has, however, to a great extent been modified in what one history writer referred to "an attempt to 'westernize' its appearance." See National Park Service Nomination of Van Vleck Residence and Barn to the National Register.

First Schoolhouse, Jackson, prior to 1897. Photo by S. N. Leek.

Because of distances, some of the children who came from as afar away as Cheney, would board at the school in one of the three-rooms. Their mothers would take turns in acting as a house mother. With construction of the Clubhouse, the school moved there.

Schoolhouse, Jackson, undated.

About 1913, a new school valued at $5,000 was constructed.

Schoolhouse, Jackson, undated.

Unfortunately, in 1914, the new school burned. This required some of the students go go back to the Clubhouse. Until the school could be replaced, other buildings were used for other classes in the shcool.

Building used as high school, Jackson, undated.

The following two photos show the replacement school. The photos also illustrate changes in Jackson between approximately 1920 and approx. 1935.

View of Jackson looking east down Deloney Ave., approx. 1920. School in the foreground.

Each of the buildings mentioned below are discussed and depicted on subsequent pages. Note that the gaps between the (1) Clubhouse and the (2) Jackson Mercantile and between the Mercantile and (3) Billy Mercill's store have not been filled in. Identifiable from the photo are (4) Deloney's Garage (now the Jackson Hole Playhouse) on the northside of Deloney. The (5) roof of the Hotel Jackson on the southwest corner of Deloney and Cache is barely visible obscured by the (6) livery barn and blacksmith shop behind the hotel. The (7) Wort Garage is the most prominent sturcture on the southside of Broadway (the longer street on the right). Across from the Garage, Charles Wort operated a (8) livery stable where the Wort Hotel is now located. On the southeast corner of Broadway and Cache William Simpson at one time maintained in a small (9) wooden cabin his law office. The office was later used as a bunkhouse by Charles Wort's two sons, John and Jess. The wooden building was later moved across the street into the square where it was used as a ticket office for tourist stage coach rides around the downtown area. In the 1960's the cost of the ride was thirty cents. The ticket office became decrepid and was not regarded as contributory to the historic ambiance of the Square. Senator Alan Simpson acquired his grandfather's old former law office and moved it to Cody. In the southeast corner of the Square is the (10) Odd Fellows' Hall (formerly the Woodmen of the World Hall). As later discussed, the Hall was razed about 1934. The vacant lot to the northeast of the school is present-day (11) Miller Park. The (12) large area of vacant land on the southside of Broadway was used for holding the annual Frontier Days rodeo until it moved to the present Rodeo Grounds in the 1930's.

View of Jackson looking east down Deloney Ave., approx. 1934.

In the above photo, a number of new buildings have been constructed. The small cabin housing the Wort Brothers' bunkhouse is gone, replaced by Richards' Ford Agency on the corner of Broadway and Cache. Across the street the large Wort's Garage Building is gone replaced by a cafe and the Frontier Saloon. On the east side of the Square trees have been planted. A gym has been constructed in Miller Park. The Hotel Jackson is now visible on the Southwest corner of Cache and Deloney.

The old Wort Brothers' bunkhouse in its reincarnation as a tourist stage station, 1959.

{A note about dating of birdseye photographs of Jackson. The photographers generally did not date their photos or postcards. Dating has been estimated by the construction of various buildings and features.]

Next Page: Jackson continued.