Cody Road

From Wyoming Tales and Trails

Continued from previous page, this page: The Trail Shop.

Big Horn Basin Black Hills Bone Wars Buffalo Cambria Casper Cattle Drives Centennial Cheyenne Chugwater Cody Custer Deadwood Stage Douglas Dubois Encampment Evanston Ft. Bridger Ft. Fetterman Ft. Laramie Ft. Russell Frontier Days Ghost Towns Gillette G. River F. V. Hayden Tom Horn Jackson Johnson County War Kemmerer Lander Laramie Lincoln Highway Lusk Meeteetse Medicine Bow N. Platte Valley Oil Camps Overland Stage Rawlins Rock Springs Rudefeha Mine Sheepherding Sheridan Shoshoni Superior Thermopolis Union Pacific USS Wyoming Wheatland Wild Bunch Yellowstone

Table of Contents
About This Site

Cody Road, approx. 1920

At first tourists were transported up the Cody Road by spring wagon. In 1911, the spring wagons were replaced by motor cars. At the eastern entrance of Yellowstone Park passengers transfered to stage coaches. Motor cars were not permitted within the park until 1916.

Hanging Bridge, Shonshone Canyon, 1910

Lunch along the Cody Road.

At first, other than Col. Cody's Wapiti Inn located about 36 miles to the west of Cody, there were no facilities for lunch on the Cody Road. The trek by spring wagon or wagon from Cody to the east entrance to Yellowstone generally took two days. With the introduction of motor cars, the trip was reduced to one day. Thus, there was no longer business for overnight stays at the Wapiti and its business was reduced to a lunch stop. The Wapiti Inn was torn down in 1913 and its logs were used for improvements to the Pahaska. The result was that camping companies made their own arrangements for lunch breaks on the trek from Cody to Yellowstone.

Trail Shop, Cody Road, 1924. Photo by F. J. Hiscock

In 1922 Wylie Sherwin (1895-1967) constructed the Trail Shop about 26 miles west of Cody. The Trail Shop provided a convenient stop for lunch. As indicated by the next series of photos, over the years, the Shop gradually expanded. Most of the vehicles in the parking lot are 1921 White autobusses used to transport tourists to Yellowstone.

Trail Shop, Cody Road, 1924. Photo by F. J. Hiscock

Trail Shop, Cody Road, approx. 1966.

Trail Shop, Cody Road, approx. 1941.

Outside restrooms, Trail Shop, approx. 1941.

The outside restrooms were torn down about 1950.

Tack Room, Trail Shop, 1940's.

Interior, Trail Shop, approx. 1941.

Next Page: Cody Road Continued.