Cody Road

From Wyoming Tales and Trails

Continued from previous page, this page: Sylvan Pass, the "Corkscrew".

Big Horn Basin Black Hills Bone Wars Brands Buffalo Cambria Casper Cattle Drives Centennial Cheyenne Chugwater Coal Camps Cody Deadwood Stage Douglas Dubois Encampment Evanston Ft. Bridger Ft. Fetterman Ft. Laramie Frontier Days Ghost Towns Gillette G. River F. V. Hayden Tom Horn Jackson Johnson County War Kemmerer Lander Laramie Lincoln Highway Lusk Meeteetse Medicine Bow N. Platte Valley Overland Stage Pacific Railroad Rawlins Rock Springs Rudefeha Mine Sheepherding Sheridan Sherman Shoshoni Superior Thermopolis USS Wyoming Wheatland Wild Bunch Yellowstone

Table of Contents
About This Site

The "Corkscrew," Sylvan Pass, Cody Road

The "Loop" or "Corkscrew" was originally constructed in 1903 and was replaced in 1919 by the structure in the next three photos.

The "Corkscrew," Sylvan Pass, Cody Road, photo by F. J. Hiscock

The "Corkscrew," Sylvan Pass, Cody Road, 1920's.

In 1929, the road was relocated to the side of the canyon and thus for years the structure was not visible from the road. In the 2000's, the road was again reconstructed and a pull-off was provided making the corkscrew once again visible.

The "Corkscrew," Sylvan Pass, Sept. 2007. Photo courtesy of Michael Rooney.

The "Corkscrew," Sylvan Pass, Sept. 2009. Photo courtesy of Michael Rooney.

The Top Arch the "Corkscrew," Sylvan Pass, showing National Park Service insignia stone .

East Entrance to Park at Sylvan Pass, 1909.

Early visitors to the Park were required to either leave their side arms at the entrance or have them sealed.

Sylvan Lodge, East Entrance to Park, 1929. Photo by F. J. Haynes.

The Sylvan Pass Lunch Station was constructed near the site of a former Wylie Campground in 1929 and remained in operation until 1940 when in was razed.

Sylvan Lodge, East Entrance to Park, 1929. H. H. Tammen postcard.

Next Page: Yellowstone