Coal Camp Photos

Continued from preceeding page

From Wyoming Tales and Trails

This page: Hudson.

Big Horn Basin Black Hills Bone Wars Brands Buffalo Cambria Casper Cattle Drives Centennial Cheyenne Chugwater Coal Camps Cody Deadwood Stage Douglas Dubois Encampment Evanston Ft. Bridger Ft. Fetterman Ft. Laramie Frontier Days Ghost Towns Gillette G. River F. V. Hayden Tom Horn Jackson Johnson County War Kemmerer Lander Laramie Lincoln Highway Lusk Meeteetse Medicine Bow N. Platte Valley Overland Stage Pacific Railroad Rawlins Rock Springs Rudefeha Mine Sheepherding Sheridan Sherman Shoshoni Superior Thermopolis USS Wyoming Wheatland Wild Bunch Yellowstone

Table of Contents
About This Site

Hudson, Wyoming, 1909

The two-story false fronted building on the right is the Union Hotel. The one-story building to its right is the Hudson Bank.

The first settlers in the area were George H. Rogers (1860-1896) and his wife Emma Hudson Rogers (1871-1965), who homesteaded in 1891. The claim was proven up following George's death. The site of the town was sold by Mrs. Rogers and her brother Daniel Frost Hudson (1865-1942) to the Hudson Coal Company. The town was originally a company town. It was incorporated in 1909 and at one time had a population of about 1500. At its peak, the town had two general stores, an opera house, a lumber yard and a newspaper.

Hudson, Wyoming, 1909

The presence of coal in the central part of the state was known as early as 1870. Nevertheless, the only mines were "wagon mines," small single person or family run affairs providing coal only for local use. Large scale commercial mining, however, was not possible until the coming of railroads. Shortly after the turn of the Twentieth Century, the Burlington pushed into the central part of the state from the north and the Chicago and Northwestern from Casper. Hudson, located midway between Riverton and Lander, traces its history to the development of the two Poposia Mines by J. C. Hickey associated with the Chicago and Northwestern.

Hudson depot, approx. 1910

With the arrival of the Chicago and Northwestern, the first major mine was the Indian Mine location on the adjacent Wind River Reservation.

Indian Mine, approx. 1910

Hudson, 1909

Hudson School, 1909

Hudson has survived, but the large mines began closing in the late 1920's. The last of the wagon mines closed in 1941.

Hudson City Hall, 1936

With the closure of the mines, the opportunity for employment was decreased. In 1927 as an example, one out of work miner, Carmelo Rotolo, was arrested for the illegal possession of a still. His excuse was that with no work in the mine, it was the only thing he could do. He was arrested after a croud gathered to watch a raid on a neighboring house. An individual in the crowd in the hearing of one of the officers, commented, "There he goes to tip Tony off." The deputy then watched as an individual went over to Carmelo's house. Carmelo and the other man engaged in coversation. Carmelo then went into a shed and, while the deputy continued to watch, emerged with parts of a still.

Hudson, undated

Next page, Geob.