Main Street Reliance, Wyoming, undated. All photos this page courtesy
Anadarko Petroleum Corporation
Reliance, another Union Pacific Coal Camp, was located some 13 miles west-southest of Superior in a direct line, but
approximately 30 miles by road. Like Superior with the decline in coal production in Rock Springs, it was established aout
1910. The town at one time, had about 145 houses. Principle mines were the Number 4 Mine and the Number 7 mine.
The Reliance mines closed in 1954 although some strip mining continued until later.
Today, the tipple is open to visitors.
Acetylene Generator House. To the left is the abandoned portal to the mine.
Acetylene generated from water and calcium carbide became to come into use in miners lamps shortly after
1900. See lamps on miners' heads next photo.
Miners and mules at portal to mine, Reliance, Wyoming.
Hoist and Generator Set Rooms, Number 4 Mine, Reliance, Wyoming.
Hoist House, No. 7 Mine, Reliance, Wyoming.
Bathhouse, Reliance, Wyoming.
Community Building, Reliance, Wyoming.
Reliance High School, gym is to left.
Next page: Coal Camps continued.