Cody Road

From Wyoming Tales and Trails

Continued from previous page, this page: Construction of the Shoshone (Buffalo Bill) Dam and Reservoir continued, the Powerhouse.

Big Horn Basin Black Hills Bone Wars Buffalo Cambria Casper Cattle Drives Centennial Cheyenne Chugwater Cody Custer Deadwood Stage Douglas Dubois Encampment Evanston Ft. Bridger Ft. Fetterman Ft. Laramie Ft. Russell Frontier Days Ghost Towns Gillette G. River F. V. Hayden Tom Horn Jackson Johnson County War Kemmerer Lander Laramie Lincoln Highway Lusk Meeteetse Medicine Bow N. Platte Valley Oil Camps Overland Stage Rawlins Rock Springs Rudefeha Mine Sheepherding Sheridan Shoshoni Superior Thermopolis Union Pacific USS Wyoming Wheatland Wild Bunch Yellowstone

Table of Contents
About This Site

Observation Deck, Cody Dam, approx. 1926.

Left: View of Dam, approx. 1926, photo by Haynes
Right: View from Observation Deck, looking east.

View of the Dam Hill Grade leading to the Cody Dam, approx. 1920.

As originally proposed the dam was to include generation of electricity. Note the building to the right of the dam alongside the road. The proposed site of the powwer plant for the dam was almost immediately below the building. See close up of buildings and 1924 photos below. Construction of the new Power Plant commenced in 1920. The dam was to provided electricity for Cody, Powell, Garland and Deaver. Not withstanding difficulties resulting from freezing weather, the 1000 kw power plant was completed in 1922. The plans provided for two 1100-hp turbins and two General Electric Generators. The plans also included adding a third generator at a later time.

Support buildings for Shoshone Dam Powerhouse, approx 1924.

Powerhouse under construction, approx. 1921.

1924 bird's eye view of Powerhouse showing relationship with the approx. 1920 view..

In 1931 the third turbin and generator were added. In 1946, the dam and reservoir were renamed after Col. Cody. In 1980 with the generation equipment being over 50 years old, the power generation was decommissioned. Between 1985 and 1992, the dam was raised in heigt by another twenty-five feet. Electrical generation was then put back on line in 1991. The additional height may be observed by the change of color in the cement in the next photo.

Buffalo Bill Dam, 2007, showing additional height and visitors' information center at end of dam.

Buffalo Bill Dam and Visitor Center as seen from the Reservoir side, visitors' information center at end of dam.

The original construction of the reservoir and improvements to the dam have over the years required reconstruction and relocation of the original Cody Road as illustrated in the ensuing pages.

Next page: The Cody Road tunnels.