Cody Photos

From Wyoming Tales and Trails

This page: The Cody Hotel, an Alleged Poker Game.

Big Horn Basin Black Hills Bone Wars Buffalo Cambria Casper Cattle Drives Centennial Cheyenne Chugwater Cody Custer Deadwood Stage Douglas Dubois Encampment Evanston Ft. Bridger Ft. Fetterman Ft. Laramie Ft. Russell Frontier Days Ghost Towns Gillette G. River F. V. Hayden Tom Horn Jackson Johnson County War Kemmerer Lander Laramie Lincoln Highway Lusk Meeteetse Medicine Bow N. Platte Valley Oil Camps Overland Stage Rawlins Rock Springs Rudefeha Mine Sheepherding Sheridan Shoshoni Superior Thermopolis Union Pacific USS Wyoming Wheatland Wild Bunch Yellowstone

Table of Contents
About This Site

North side of Sheridan Ave., showing the multi-gabled Cody Hotel, 1940's.

The Cody Hotel on Sheridan Ave. adjacent to where the Silver Dollar Bar is now (2017) located, was established in 1897. Thus at the time of the above photo was the oldest hotel in town. There was an earlier "hotel" operated for a short time by Mr. and Mrs. H. K. Barbee. It consisted of a cabin and tent in which one could place one's bedroll. The Barbees moved on to South Fork. The Cody Hotel was operated by a variety of owners until taken oven by Fred Primm and his wife. Mrs. Fred (Katrina) Primm operated the hotel and Fred the saloon.

North side of Sheridan Ave., showing Cody Hotel, approx. 1935

The Grocerteria was operated by Gustav Aldolph "Gus" Ebert (1887-1982). The hotel was primarily a boarding house with a bar and dining room. In the early years, a meal would cost thirty-five cents. The hotel building was torn down in the 1960's. A trace of the hotel, however, remained. A small one-story extension was on the west side of the hotel and abutted the adjacent building housing the grocerteria. The extension originally housed a bar and the lobby.

Cody Hotel between the white sedan delivery and the Grocerteria, approx. 1938.

For some years following the hotel's demise, a "ghost" outline of the roof of the extension could be seen on the east end of the Silver Dollar Bar.

"Ghost" outline of roof extension of Cody Hotel on end wall of Silver Dollar Bar, Sheridan Ave. Cody.

In the 1930's, on of the more popular saloons was the Log Cabin Saloon on Sheridan Ave. next door to the Log Cabin Cafe. F. J. Hiscock gave the saloon some extra publicity in 1936 when he took several apparently posed photographs of old timers having fun in the saloon.

Players and on-lookers in game as the Log Cabin Saloon, photo by F. J. Hiscock, 1936.

The men in the photo have been identified as (left to right, seated at table:) George Inman, Snake River Bill, Morris Sanderson, John Kirkpatrick, Two Dog Felsheim (Johnson). Back row: Flung Hui (Soo Foo), Cigarette Charlie, George Gentner, Stinking Water Charlie (Bill Jones), Harry Vreeland, Bill DeMaris, Red Felsheim.

Fun outside the Log Cabin Saloon, photo by F. J. Hiscock, 1936. Log Cabin Cafe to the Left of liquour store.

Next page: Etta Feeley's "Big White House," the "Green House," Miss Cassie's house, the Downfall of Dr. William S. Bennett.