Depot Park with view of overhead viaduct, approx. 1912.
By the 1920's, the viaduct became a little bit outdated. Complaints were voiced about the 1890's viaduct being unsuited for heavy automobiles
making the curves onto the Viaduct.
Depot Park with view of overhead viaduct, approx. 1920.
In the 1920's increasing complaints were voiced about the old viaduct, particularly with regard to
heavy cars having difficuties making the curves onto the structure.
In 1929, a new viaduct was constructed together with a new highway leading to the Denver Road.
The "new" viaduct, 1929. Photo by
William P. Sanborn.
In addition to the viaduct, The Park had three interesting features: A sign idenifying Cheyenne to those in passing trains or who gathered in front for
a photographic opportunity,
Mountain Gun similar to those used at Wounded Knee, and a Kicksetti Totem Pole from
"Scuff Laws" sitting on and
behind "Cheyenne" sign in
Depot Park, undated.
For explanation of why the group are "scuff laws," see close up below of the third person from the right with the
with the "keep of the grass" sign.
Below Left, Postcard depicting totem pole and the mountain gun; right closeup from above showing "keep off the grass" sign.
The sign on the totem pole reads:
GEORGE A PARKS
The face at the top of the totem represents a mountain. Below is a frog, the emblem of the Kicksetti tribe.
Below is the old Raven, talking to the young Raven who created mankind. At the bottom is the Killisnoo beaver who had the
ability to sing like a human.
The cannon in the picture to the left was situated behind the group depicted above. See next photo.
The end of the park in the background of the above photos is the ramp leading up from Capitol Avenue. The building in the background is
Hobbs, Huckfeldt and Finkbiner Furniture and Funeral Directors (later Grier Furniture Company) at the northeast corner of
Central and 16th Street (Lincoln Way). The building was consructed in 1911 by F. E. Warren and was
first occupied by the Gleason Furniture Company and later by Hobbs Huckfeldt. The building began extensive restoration beginning in
The Union Pacific maintained a greenhouse in Cheyenne for the purpose of providing flowers for its
dining cars and plants for the parks which it had established along the line.
In 1840, Depot Park made way for a new bus terminal for Union Pacific Stage Lines. about the same time,
the Burlington Station was converted into a bus station for its subsidiary bus line.
Depot Park, Cheyenne, 1930's. In the distance is the Hobbs, Huckfeldt and Finkbiner Furniture Buildling.
Cheyenne Photos continued on next page.